Well, actually no. As you may have read from my last post, the weekend was long, so basically, the workweek only started this Tuesday.
I figured that a long weekend would get me going through the workweek. Tuesday morning I got to the office and met with my boss and got some more short-term objectives. The morning went ok, but the afternoon? Forget it! I had lunch as I usually do and got in my (African) car and started to make my way to the workshop where I work. No more than a hundred meters from the garage and the car goes dead. It didn’t even choke. It just turned off all of a sudden… Calmly I headed to the side of the road and inspected under the hood: one of the battery pins leaked and corroded the connector. No signal. “Ok, I’ll just clean it and repair it as soon as I arrive at the workshop…” I couldn’t be further from the truth. With no response from the African cruiser, I went back home and made a few phone calls to the mechanics to send me a tow truck. None was available at the moment so I waited. Minutes later, someone called me to say that only in the next morning they could salvage my lonely car. An hour later I start to feel nauseous and with a slight fever, aside from pain in my inner ear, which had been building up throughout the weekend. “Malaria!” I thought. It couldn’t be: I felt nauseous. Quickly I sms’d my boss and said I would go to the office and deliver him some stuff and also that I needed some medical attention. When I got there, he gave the cell phone number of the company’s nurse.
Anyhow, through the nurse I arranged an appointment with the company’s doctor and later I went there. Prognosis: an inch of a benign virus and an ear infection at the same time. “Oh goodie!” I thought ironically. After that, I accepted my condition and went home to sleep. I have to thank a friend of mine for the ride he gave me (and putting up with me).
The week was just starting…
Wednesday started with a trip to the hospital to take some blood samples. My ride was late and so was I. Blood taken, analysis made, I waited. Waiting and waiting and finally the doctor saw me and prescribed me some drugs. Legal ones that is. As soon as I got home, the car was my next priority. I called to arrange for the tow truck but then the guy on the other side says there was someone there who wanted to talk to me. Basically, the tow truck went to my old house and tried to tow a car very similar to mine. The guy didn’t let him and retrieved the trucker’s name and occupation. Next thing I know, the owner of the similar car says over the phone he was going to turn me in to the nearest police station for organized auto thef! Laughing inside (screaming senseless actually), I calmed him down and reassured him that it was all a big misunderstanding…
Today, Thursday, I got to salvage my car and still got to comply with a great part of my objectives. Still, I wonder… Did the other guy believe what I said? Guess I’ll just have to wait for the police…
1 comment:
És o rei do crime organizado!!!
Post a Comment