Welcome Note

Welcome all that arrive here, at my thoughts and experiences. Be them on the road, or be it solely on my mind, I decided to share them with you, fellow friend and fellow stranger. Hope you enjoy this testimonial record of my life as much as I did, do, and will, through time, live like there is no tomorrow...

Monday, October 30, 2006

Mozambique farewell (It almost happened...) - part 2

Well folks, last time I wrote here, I got married, my car brokedown and my house was robbed. As for the latter, I didn't give you any details, so, here they are.

When we got home, everything was everywhere. All our clothes, papers, stuff and stuff and endless stuff.

First we interrogated the guy that guards our house. His excuse was that since a light was left on, he thought that we were home. Like we were ever to buy that. He's lucky we didn't beat him up then and there.

As our friend Vasco went to the police station, me and my wife started looking for obvious stuff that might be missing. Here are a few:

My first guitar was gone. Cherry red with golden finishing, steel strings and a tough casing, she was my redhead as I used to call it.
The TV and remote, which belonged to our landlady.
My girlfriends watches, rings and some necklaces.
My girlfriends underwear (yes, you read it right the first time).
My leather wallet, which was stripped of its contents (got to admit, the burglars were nice).
My favorite wool jacket (our friendly burglars emptied the pockets. How friendly…)
Perfumes, lotions and some shampoos.
And a couple more small items.
A part from a two-piece ebony toothpick holder (if you saw it, you would never used for that).

DVDs, Cd's and my entire computer game collection (about thirty of them, burned just before I came to Mozambique last December).

And that was it. I managed to foresee that something might happen, so I stashed my laptop at a friend's house, along with money and some DVDs. Not all was lost.

Did I mention that a week before to burglary, my girlfriends laptop was stolen? Yeah, our maid left the door open and one of the building guards took it. As the police went to question the maid, they met with the guard and told him that they also needed to talk to him. As he replied asking if it could be done the following day, they said "sure". I hate this country. Nothing is done right! It's as if they are mentally challenged! How can they not foresee such things? Don't they do this for a living? )(/!"$(#%=!%= and that's all i have to say. This is a public place you now.

The night of the burglary, I and my wife had to sleep in the guest room so not to disturb the crime scene. And yes, we had a hard time falling asleep. We slept with knifes at both our sides just in case.

Admitting that by now the vacation was screwed, we had to go on. First of all, the police had to take some fingerprints from the crime scene and also take a statement from me (my wife is afraid of police, and with good reason. They tend to enforce power by abusing from it. That afternoon, I went to pick up the car that we let at the police station the night before, with Vasco's help of course (Vasco, you're a saint!). With a new battery, a mechanic and some hope, there we went. Luckily, it was a battery problem. We replaced it and went home.

Either way, it still needed a repair because the battery was overcharging and the car was in the eminence of explosion. Don't worry. If I died that way, I would never see it coming (that reminds me of a saying: I hope I die in my sleep like a friend of mine and not screaming as his passengers...). I had to leave it at the mechanics (at place I used to work, Técnica Industrial). They told me I had to get some parts which for one aren't available in Mozambique, which meant I had to go to South Africa to buy them, and also that even if I got the parts in Mozambique, it would cost an arm and a leg. Obvious choice: South Africa here I come.

The following weeks were in and out of the police station. Soon we were getting the feeling that we would never get the things back. "Move along, move along" as they say. Our friends were great and really supporting. Thanks to you all. Me and Ana will never forget the strength you gave us and we hope we can return the same if anything happens (of course we hope not!).

Eventually I went to South Africa and bought the parts but couldn't bring them back to Mozambique because: one, it was an order for manufacture in Japan; and two, I live in Mozambique.

Everything was slowly coming together again. We had to move out and I needed a new job. Luckily, just two days before the end my vacations (and three before my contract ended), the Portuguese Embassy calls me and says that they have an opening. The answer? YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (eheheh). Everything WAS really coming together!

That's we're I am now. Working at the Portuguese Embassy of Maputo…

Two months have passed and nothing really happened in the meantime.

Oh! My white car was seized at the border when I went to collect the parts in South Africa for the red one. And that's ANOTHER story!

See ya soon!

JC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Puto, já te disse o que te disse: Quando o 'gajo' não quer aprender a pescar, não lhe dês o peixe de mão aberta!!!

Um ano é porreiro para 'ajudar', mais do que isso é tentar o impossivél com gente que não quer ser ajudada a ser alguém...

Não sei se querias isto em Inglês ou não, mas se esses 'Turras' conseguirem juntar as silabas e formar algumas palavras que lhes dê uma frase coerente, aqui a têm: Aprendam, Cresçam e ajudem-se a ser melhores, não tentem enganar quem vos ajuda!!!

Sabem-se chorar por oportunidades e quandoas têm é o que se vê...
Só têm umas coisas boas: Clima, paisagens e comida.Ponto Final Parágrafo.

Abraços moço, Força nisso tudo que queres e beijinhos à Ana.